Open All / Close All

Which Insurance Company issues the policy?

The insurance company providing the short-term production insurance coverage is Reel Media.

Where and When is equipment covered?

Rented equipment provides coverage for direct physical loss or damage to rented equipment up to the selected limit, subject to the terms, conditions, and exclusions of the policy.

All equipment is full replacement cost coverage for: theft, damage, breakage, fire and loss of use. This includes damage caused by Earthquake and Flood. Please note, the insurer reserves the right to repair damaged equipment when possible.

Please note that this coverage is subject to a locked vehicles warranty: The insurance carrier will not cover loss or damage by theft that occurs while the covered property is left in or on an unlocked and unattended vehicle or trailer. However, we will cover theft of a covered property from a locked vehicle or trailer when there are visible signs of forced entry.

VIDEOS: How to add an additional insured to your policy

Check out these videos on how to add an additional insured to your policy:

How do I add an additional insured to my policy?

What does it mean to add an additional insured to my policy?

Noteyou will not have access to the certificate of insurance until after the policy has been purchased.

Replacement Value Explained.

Replacement Value - this is the cost to repair or replace the property/equipment with the same or other similar property of comparable material and quality used for the same purpose without deduction or depreciation.

What is the deductible?  The rented equipment deductible is $1,500 per event.  This applies to any one incident, not per item.

VIDEO: What is a deductible?

Props/Sets/Wardrobe coverage explained.

This is coverage for rented props, sets, scenery, costumes, wardrobe and similar theatrical property. It provides coverage against direct physical loss or damage to said property.

Please note the following sublimits: 

Antiques, fine arts, jewelry - $15,000, deductible $1,000

Aircraft/Watercraft/Railroads in motion - $10,000, deductible $1,000

Short Circuit/Electrical Disturbance - up to $50,000, not to exceed the Props, Sets, Wardrobe limit. Deductible $1,500

Productions covered under this policy.

The following type of productions can be covered under the policy:

Commercials, Infomercials, Documentaries, Training and Educational Films, Short Dramas under 30 minutes in length, Music Videos, Public Service Announcements, Animated Projects, New Media Content, Webisodes, Specials, Sizzle Reels or Teasers, Online Content, Still Photography, Demos.

If your production does not appear in the above list it will not be covered.

Please note features and reality shows cannot be covered under this policy. If you require coverage for a feature or reality show, please contact our office to arrange a quote.

Policy Period explained.

You must ensure that your policy is in effect as long as you are legally responsible for the rented equipment as well as the locations used.

Please note that all policies end at 12:01 am on the expiry date.

Please note that the maximum coverage period for the short-shoot policy is 15 consecutive days. If you require coverage for a longer period, please contact our office.

If an extension is required, contact our office immediately to let us know. Please note that processing coverage extensions can only be done during regular business hours, from 9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday. If you reach us outside of these hours, the extension will only take effect on the next working day. Similarly, if you communicate with us on Saturdays or Sundays, the extension can only be applied on the next regular working day.Please note that the extension can not be dated retroactively. The effective date of the extension of coverage is only considered official once we send you written confirmation. Please note, changes made to your policy after it has been purchased are subject to a $25 change fee. 

Named Insured, who should be listed?

Please note that the person who listed as the applicant will become the Named Insured on the policy. The name of the insured should match the name on the rental contracts/ location agreements.

The Named Insured has special rights and duties. These rights and duties are explained in General Rules of the policy wording.


If you are applying as an individual, please list your full legal name in the Applicant’s name box.

Partnership or Joint Venture

If you are applying as a Partnership or Joint Venture please list you and partners or co-venturers full legal names.

Trade Name/Unincorporated Company  

If you are applying as a company that is not incorporated please list your full legal name and your unincorporated company name by including the acronym dba (doing business as).  An example of how to correctly list your name in this scenario is below:

Jane Doe dba ABC Production  Company


If you are applying as a Corporation, please list the full legal name of your corporation including the company’s designation (i.e. Inc. Ltd, Corp.)

Note: if you need to list vendors (i.e., rental houses) or locations as an additional insured or loss payee, they should NOT be listed as the Applicant/Named Insured. When you purchase the policy, you will be supplied with a blank certificate of insurance. This certificate will allow you to add loss payees and additional insureds to your policy as needed per the terms and conditions of the policy.

How to choose between a DICE policy and a Short Shoot policy?

Note: If you're planning more than one short-term production within a calendar year, our recommendation is that you go with a DICE policy.

How to choose between a DICE policy and a Short Shoot policy? This blog post explains it:

DICEHow to choose between a DICE policy and a Short Shoot policy?

How do I provide proof of insurance ?

Once you have purchased coverage, you will receive an email with the policy binder, policy wordings and a blank certificate. You can use this blank certificate to issue certificates to the following parties only who are asking to be added as loss payee and/or additional insured:

  1. Municipalities/Cities for the purpose of granting permits for filming operations.
  2. Lessors of premises Rented/Leased to the Insured for occupancy for filming operations (except for long term leases).
  3. Equipment rental companies, but only with respect to the maintenance, operation or use of the equipment by the Named Insured.

The full legal name and address of the party to whom the Certificate is issued should be typed into the appropriate location on the Certificate. Under no circumstances should the Certificate wordings be altered, added to or amended in any way.

Email a copy of all certificates issued to the following email address: in a timely fashion.


If a certificate you issue with this form is rejected by a vendor, please do not hesitate to contact our office and we can help to provide a document that meets their requirements.

How can I make a change to my policy?

If you have already purchased a policy and you need to make a change, please contact one our offices. Currently you are not able to make changes to your policy online. We would be happy to assist you quickly with changes needed over the phone or by email.

Please note that once coverage is purchased, the full premium is fully earned and non refundable.

Please notify our office immediately  if an extension is required. Note, we will only be able to process an extension during the hours of 9-5 Monday to Friday. If you contact us after hours, the earliest the extension could take effect is the next business day. Similarly,  if you contact us on a Saturday or Sunday, the earliest the coverage could be extended is Monday morning assuming there is no statutory holiday on Monday in which case the coverage would be extended on Tuesday. Note that there is no backdating of coverage. An extension of coverage is not deemed to be in effect until confirmed confirmed in writing to you by us. Please note, changes made to your policy after it has been purchased are subject to a $25 change fee. 

Effective and Expiry Date of Coverage Explained.

If you choose to purchase your policy on the same day you want the policy to go into effect, the policy begins at the time your confirmation email is received with the policy documents.  

If you purchase a policy for a future date, the policy will begin at 12:01am on the date chosen.

Please note that the policy cannot be backdated.

Commercial Vehicle Physical Damage explained.

This is coverage for hired automobiles which are property of others for which the insured is liable and which are lost, damaged or destroyed during the term of coverage while such property is used or to be used in connection with the declared production. 

Coverage is for physical damage to the vehicles and does not include third-party liability coverage. Note: there is no third-party auto liability coverage offered through this online program. If this coverage is required, please contact our office.

See alsoI'm renting a car (in Canada) for my production

Commercial General Liability explained.

This coverage is designed to protect against all sums that the insured shall become legally obligated to pay for bodily injury, property damage or personal injury to third parties arising out of the operations of the insured production. It includes the cost of a lawyer to defend you.

This policy excludes liability arising out of the use of motor vehicles, aircraft or watercraft (based on size).

This policy excludes liability arising from stunts, or hazardous activities.

The commercial general liability also includes coverage for tenant legal liability (coverage for your professionally used rented premises), Employers Liability (Canadian employees only) and Non-Owned Auto Liability* equal to limits chosen. The commercial general liability / tenant legal liability coverages would not apply to personal residence or any activities outside of those of the insured production.

This policy is subject to the Field of Entertainment endorsement.

If you purchase Commercial General Liability, Third Party Property Damage is automatically included. Third Party Property Damage provides coverage against all sums the insured shall become legally obligated to pay because of loss of, injury to, or destruction of property of others in the care, custody or control of the insured. Please note that Third Party Property Damage is only available when the Commercial General Liability is also purchased.

*Non-Owned Automobile Liability coverage extends to vehicles rented for 30 days or less.

Can I cover owned equipment under this policy?

No, it is important to note that coverage is only provided for rented equipment. If protection is required for the equipment that you own, please contact our office.

Are you located outside Canada?

This online program is currently only available for Canadian residents and Canadian-registered Companies. If you're in the US, get a quote for short-term production insurance here.

Are you based in Québec?

For individuals, partnerships or corporations based in Québec wishing to get more information or to purchase coverage, please contact one of our brokers by:

Completing an online application: HERE

Emailing US at:

Calling us at 514-382-9625.